Sign in to follow this  
Markca18

More power out of a CA18DE

Hey guys I want to increase the power of my ca18de in my s13, I know I can put a turbo on but can't because of p plates and when I'm off my p plates ill have a sr20det to go in.

Does anyone have a list of upgrades to get more power and ideas for better cooling and so on.

Thanks

how much longer do you have on your P's? you already have an sr20 to go in once you have your full license i would just save the money and spend it on the new motor and its supporting mods

Edited by FenrirWC

As above, how long until you'll be swapping anyway?

CA18DE's don't make and will not ever make a great deal of power (I've got a CA18DET so I'm a fan of CA's, I'm just being honest with you).

If you absolutely want to spend money on trying to make the CA a bit faster just do the very basics, air filter, full exhaust, extractors if you are really keen and can do the work yourself as paying for the labour is not worth the gain. Otherwise, the only other easy drop in parts would be cam gears, but that requires dyno time to get the most out of, fine for me as I have access to one, but if you're paying for it, not worth it.

You will not make much more power from those things, but it'll sound nicer, rev more freely and will have a little bit more zip.

Same goes for cooling, don't buy anything you can't use on the SR, so if you want to buy an oil cooler now or a radiator cap or something, keep in mind what you can swap to the SR later.

Otherwise, rather than spend money on the engine that you are going to replace, spend it on other areas of the car that you are keeping.

Rims, tyres, shocks, swaybars, control arms, brake upgrades, gauges, seats, etc etc All things you can do now and still enjoy later. Almost all of which are needed when you go more power later anyway, especially the brakes. Suspension upgrades are a must in Silvia's too, the old stuff may likely be very sad by now and you wont be getting the best from the chassis with worn bushes/shocks/control arms everywhere. Replacing all this can make the car "faster" also in that you can corner quicker etc.

ITBs, head work, and a bottom-end that will spin to 9,500 will crack along ok.

OR, you could wait til you're off your Ps.

get a bigger radiator for better cooling.

as for power, just no.. you wont have enough money to gain an extra 20rwkw...

K24 swap

then put on an Odyssey front end http://www.stancewor.../08/odyvia6.jpg

Voila, Odyvia

edit: I think the Spirit Rei actually had an L28 in it which is way cooler. Get an L28! The sky is the limit! You can do anything at Zombo Com.

Edited by Skepticism

4.6 or 4.9 diff ratio, 15x6.5 meshies, 2" straight pipe exhaust, and poncams. Don't ever lift your right foot. You won't make any power, but as long as it can breathe at high rpm, you might let some tyre smoke out.

Or buy a honda/falcodore.

Lol the lads are on the ball there. Waste your money on suspension, brakes, interior and body, or just save up for the turbo motor. Spending money on the NA motor is a serious waste of time and money. If you are having overheating issues, just change your thermostat get a flush done, and maybe get a replacement radiator off ebay, around $150 will do the job.

yes higher diff is the only mod worth doing as you can keep it for turbo anyway, but going from an sr20de with headers, exhaust and 4.3 diff to SR20DET, I would never mod an n/a again, they are nuggets but hella fun on track and on those slippery nights

Pump in 100 octane and get NOS.

All other mods will yield no more than 10rwkw.

It is not worth pumping cash into N/A (unless its a bigger motor).

All you will get is a seat off the pants feeling - you may as well just go to a thai massage parlour. Will feel better an its cheaper.

If you've got nothing worth contributing go and clock up your post count somewhere else. You had your fun with the K24 post.

It's a legitimate question.

Edited by ActionDan

It is a legitimate question, with a legitimate answer - all mods(Extractors, Exhaust, CAI, Chip, CAMS, Head work) to a 1.8 L Inline 4 motor will yield no more than 15rwkw, if that. Maybe with serious cash you could get 20+rwkw, but the money spent on the hardcore work could just be saved and used for Turbo.

It is not feasable to pump money into a small NA motor when there are better options.

As mentioned above put money into Suspension/Interior/Brakes/Wheels then convert to turbo when off P Plates.

i dont get why p platers waste money modding n/a's, In the end your car is still illegal to drive and you will still get dicked with your loud as f**k exhaust... chuck a turbo in there keep it stock, keep car subtle and drive it around without getting looked at

i dont get why p platers waste money modding n/a's, In the end your car is still illegal to drive and you will still get dicked with your loud as f**k exhaust... chuck a turbo in there keep it stock, keep car subtle and drive it around without getting looked at

I was the same man, I had big plans for my N/A. Cams, exhaust, shortened intake etc.

Once I got a turbo I really was thankful I didnt blow my money away, its just a P-plater mentality. They dont get it cause theyve never owned a quick car.

Pod filter. Will make sweet f**k all power without one!

I don't think he's coming back.

Dreams shattered.

goldust-s-shattered-dreams-o.gif GIFSoup

Edited by AC-S13

Haha holly shit, didn't think I would get this much feedback haha.

All good points there, I'm off my p's in June next year and just wanted to have some fun in it now untill the sr20det is dropped in.

Wasn't looking at spending alot to get nothing or believing I would make any horsepower haha.

I do have a little cooling issue but waiting on the motor so I can put a nice sr radiator in.

Don't want to do cams and stuff and already got a nice exhaust on it.

I think ill just leave it how it sits and wait and save to deck out the sr. Cheers

Haha holly shit, didn't think I would get this much feedback haha.

All good points there, I'm off my p's in June next year and just wanted to have some fun in it now untill the sr20det is dropped in.

Wasn't looking at spending alot to get nothing or believing I would make any horsepower haha.

I do have a little cooling issue but waiting on the motor so I can put a nice sr radiator in.

Don't want to do cams and stuff and already got a nice exhaust on it.

I think ill just leave it how it sits and wait and save to deck out the sr. Cheers

Turbo the CA.

High Compression + Boost = Fun!

Dr. Drift has mad experience with boosting N/A CA's. With good results.

It is a legitimate question, with a legitimate answer - all mods(Extractors, Exhaust, CAI, Chip, CAMS, Head work) to a 1.8 L Inline 4 motor will yield no more than 15rwkw, if that. Maybe with serious cash you could get 20+rwkw, but the money spent on the hardcore work could just be saved and used for Turbo.

It is not feasable to pump money into a small NA motor when there are better options.

As mentioned above put money into Suspension/Interior/Brakes/Wheels then convert to turbo when off P Plates.

The post I was referring to is gone now, and I agree with you. I was the one you said don't bother, do Suspension/Brakes etc.

The removed post was about installing a second CA in the boot and connecting it to the front wheels... just trolling.

The post I was referring to is gone now, and I agree with you. I was the one you said don't bother, do Suspension/Brakes etc.

The removed post was about installing a second CA in the boot and connecting it to the front wheels... just trolling.

Ahh Damn those Trolls!