Sign in to follow this  
ij's

sternum pain

i've been off training for 4 months since traveling overseas. getting back into the gym now but i get this wide sharp in my sternum when i perform the wide-grip dips. i don't get it when i do an incline bench press and before was a able to do them with additional weights attached to my belt. is this normal? anybody have a similar experience? this is one of my favourite exercise, i'd hate to lose it in my routine...

I'd just stop doing dips for now, maybe come back to them in a few months time and see if they still cause pain.

how old are you?

in the dvd that M&M has out, he mentions that it seems for younger people (under 18) that pain when dipping is common.

how old are you?

in the dvd that M&M has out, he mentions that it seems for younger people (under 18) that pain when dipping is common.

lol definitely not under 18... 27yo

yeah wide grip, hands are a bit wider than shoulder length...

anyways, i went to the doctors today. she said it was most likely muscle related but will give me a blood test to make sure it's not an infection and if pain persists, a chest x-ray in 2 weeks... wish me luck.

I get this too... but only when using the dip machine.. Normal dips its never happend.. I just don't use the machine now :) I'm 28.. Almost the same age...

i get this pain also and im 23. it is not unbearable though even though it sort of takes your breath it only lasts for a second or two and only after you let go of the bars on ur last rep

i get this as well, just slight pain - im 26

nothing to be concerned about with my blood test and chest x-ray. it seems to be a joint inflammation; not much i can do there. the urine test shows i was lacking vitamin D, so not enough sunlight. might take some vitamin D tablets and hopefully this will clean up any joint inflammation as well.