Sign in to follow this  
Freddy Kruger

Where are all the cheap 250s?

So theres a demand for 250 bikes with the learners, but for a first bike there is no way im going to spend a crapload on something that has the chance of getting dropped.

I want to spend about $3-3.5k on something and all the 20+ year old bikes are still getting $5k+ asked for them. there was a cbr250rr locally with 80000kms had 2 different engines, been resprayed and come with no rwc and he wanted $4k for it? yeah i dunno bike prices but seriously thats gotta be dreamin a little.

Its almost like the cheaper option is to get a non LAMS approved bike and hope not to get caught...

Got a $500 Yamaha voucher with passing my learners course, but the only LAMS approved sport bike is a 125 and the run $8k! i wonder how well they sell...

yeah im pissed.

/vent

firstly why did you get a $500 voucher for finishing your learners course, i finishd mine the weekend just gone and got nothing.

i am now looking for my first bike and im in the same case, not spending too much money. i have found some good bikes on bikesales.com.au(linked through carsales), gumtree, e.t.c, but i gotta save for another 3months till i purchase my first bike.

also annoyed and i feel your pain dude, if you have any luck let us know

jonny

Learner bikes are bulk expensive everywhere, even SA. There are cheaper bikes, but they are single piston, 55,000kms on them and still worth $2500? How. Demand.

I was lucky enough to buy my bosses grey import bike (Suzuki GN125). He only wanted $2000 for it and he paid for the compliance + 6 month rego ($400 total). It does not go hard, it will only do 95km/h with me on it, but it also only has 3000kms on it and it's a 2005 model. Best bet is to wait till a deal comes along, get a postie bike, get a large scooter second hand (bought my missus a new 125cc scooter- Piagio - insurance $189 a year with 3 year new for old) or find someone who does not know what their bike is worth!

As soon as LAMS was introduced all learner bikes skyrocketed.

Supply/Demand

firstly why did you get a $500 voucher for finishing your learners course, i finished mine the weekend just gone and got nothing.

i am now looking for my first bike and im in the same case, not spending too much money. i have found some good bikes on bikesales.com.au(linked through carsales), gumtree, e.t.c, but i gotta save for another 3months till i purchase my first bike.

also annoyed and i feel your pain dude, if you have any luck let us know

jonny

i did my learners thru DECA Training, and they are sponsored by Yamaha. Only i can use the voucher but Yamaha have absolutely nothing i want :( except maybe a XT250 but they are still twice the amount i want to spend. and it has to be on a new bike... just a gimmick like cash back n shit.

Quick Q. the cbr250r and cbr250rr. the r is a good enough bike to not warrant the extra money to try and go for the rr?

and zxr250 vs cbr250r? 88-89 models...

How could ya be pissed if they gave ya a $500 voucher for nothing? They still sell riding gear yeah?

Could I use it hear in SA? I'll give ya $50 for it...posted.

its 2am and i cbf typing it all out but his is what it says:

Thank you for completing blah blah with DECA

*the $500 blah conditions

1. $250 from Yamaha for use against any new motorbike or scooter purchased blah blah in Vic or Tas

2. $250 from Yamaha Finance for purchasers who apply for and are approved blah blah Vic and Tas.

as i said, gimmick :( plus it has my name and licence number on it so i cant even sell it to anyone. i suppose ill frame it or something lol

So theres a demand for 250 bikes with the learners, but for a first bike there is no way im going to spend a crapload on something that has the chance of getting dropped.

I want to spend about $3-3.5k on something and all the 20+ year old bikes are still getting $5k+ asked for them. there was a cbr250rr locally with 80000kms had 2 different engines, been resprayed and come with no rwc and he wanted $4k for it? yeah i dunno bike prices but seriously thats gotta be dreamin a little.

Its almost like the cheaper option is to get a non LAMS approved bike and hope not to get caught...

Got a $500 Yamaha voucher with passing my learners course, but the only LAMS approved sport bike is a 125 and the run $8k! i wonder how well they sell...

yeah im pissed.

/vent

i've had a 250 virago on NS for sale for bout a year now and had crap all interested peps, im prob gonna keep it now as its more reliable then most my cars:P

I got my Kwaka ZZR 250 registered, insured etc for $1500.

Gotta look harder mate.

yeah im pissed.

/vent

i've had a 250 virago on NS for sale for bout a year now and had crap all interested peps, im prob gonna keep it now as its more reliable then most my cars:P

can you post a link up mate?

I had a look could nawwwt find

cheers jonny

Gotta look harder mate.

what was wrong with it? lol

i found some bargains but most were interstate or writeoffs with no reg etc and needed VIV certs...

Well anyway if you havent seen my other posts i have purchased a Honda CBR250R. just waiting for delivery next week...

Gotta look harder mate.

what was wrong with it? lol

i have purchased a Honda CBR250R. just waiting for delivery next week...

are you a midget lol... smallest 250 ever.

Nothing wrong with mine at all. I just waited til I found the right bike at the best price.

5 foot 10-11 inches...

yeah they looked tiny sitting next to the Hyosung's but i sat on one and it felt pretty comfy. plus having my feet flat on the ground as opposed to just the ball of my foot felt like a better option imo, whether it is or not i dunno, for a first road bike anyway...

you'd look short next to me (6"6) so a CBR was well out of the question.

First bikes all about practicality and comfort. So you made the right choice.

ive got my eye out for another cheap ZZR but im not in a hurry. Injuries mean I cant drive/ride for at least another month anyway.

now is the time to get a bike, people are selling because of winter and the cold weather.

Excellent ... buy my MV Agusta F4 Brutale (Ferrari on two wheels) :D

Italian sexiness on 2 wheels! Includes Corse race exhaust system, Power Commander III USB, K&N filter, Ohlins shock, CF goodness.

Only $17,000 ... with Ohlins rear shock and CF bits at that price. Or $15,000 without the aftermarket bits.

Very low kms. 5,000kms in 2 years. I don't ride it enough ... hence the reason for selling.

;)

images 042.jpg