Sign in to follow this  
seanie

Who's travelled Japan?

hey there, im going to japan mid nov and i plan to stay/travel in tokyo, osaka, kyoto and hiroshima. We'd obviously get there by train, but i am not sure if we should get this Japan rail pass they offer for visitors. http://www.jtboi.com.au/jr_pass/jrpass.htm

I used the railway timetable (http://www.japanrail.com/pdf/timetable_fare/timetable_fare1_west.pdf) and fares thingy (to tokyo then kyoto then osaka then hiroshima then all the way back to tokyo in non-reserved sections) to get 40171 japanese yen which is $527.80 aud. were staying there for 17 nights so the 14 day pass japan rail pass at $752 is the best option(if we buy this thing). SO is it worth it? would i spend heaps getting around in each city eg tokyo to make up the difference for this japan rail pass? any help is appreciated

i was only there for one night so i wouldnt know BUT I LOVED JAPAN!

make sure u go to there meets at night

even there street meets shit all over our auto salon

• Downvote 1

Definitely buy the railpass. You can't go wrong. I went last year for about 18 days and also had a 14 day railpass.

If not for anything, the time saved for travel is a huge plus! You will actually save plenty!!

DEFINITELY get the rail pass! Worth its weight in gold!!

Im staying in tokyo for my 2 week holiday there in october (minus 1 day @ hakone+fuji speedway), so im only planing on getting a specific railpass for the central tokyo region. no need for $700 imho..

You'll use the rail pass alot more than just getting between the places you stay. You'd use them everyday getting around the towns and sightseeing etc. Definitely worth their weight.

When I was in Japan early this year, we bought 14day passes, used them to get from osaka to niseko, spent a week in niseko (read wasted 7days of rail pass) then spent the next week using the pass to get around for sight seeing etc. Was still worth paying for it.

Awsome i guess ill order the thing then. How does the train system work when travelling between cities eg tokyo and kyoto? do i have to book tickets, or just rock up?

do u know where these meets are? Im keen as mustard

i'm flying to tokyo on thursday with 6 other guys... we don't speak any jap at all and have no plans once we get there. Someone please give some advice on clubs to go to, cool places to check out and so forth...

My mates are pretty heavily tattoed up, do they need to cover up? Will we be allowed to hot springs?

Apparently many clubs and venues don't let in people with tatts?

I think we're staying in shinjuku or shibuya? any tips on those areas?

Is Tokyo really expensive? i'm budgeting $500 a day not including hotels.

My sister just came back from Osaka and said she saw a rockmelon that worked out to be $100aus like WTF

where are these meets you speak of?

Tattoos should be covered up, alot of hot springs wont let u in, however just show + ask @ the front if they mind.. should be clear as crystal if they dont want you there.

Being gaijin u might not have as many issues because they know you arn't yakuza. Best thing is buy a lonely planet book and do some research, tokyo is expensive, but im budgeting alot less than what you have, just depends how you plan to live it up.

Rockmelon isnt a japanese fruit = expensive

thats bout it.

Tattoos should be covered up, alot of hot springs wont let u in, however just show + ask @ the front if they mind.. should be clear as crystal if they dont want you there.

Being gaijin u might not have as many issues because they know you arn't yakuza. Best thing is buy a lonely planet book and do some research, tokyo is expensive, but im budgeting alot less than what you have, just depends how you plan to live it up.

Rockmelon isnt a japanese fruit = expensive

thats bout it.

Most rockmelon in Japan is genmod too, it's like jellyish inside.

Most of Tokyo isn't really that expensive, compared to Perth I found it on par, if not better.

Just remember that the JR Rail pass is ONLY for JR rail lines. In Osaka this will only cover the Main loop line and the bullet trains to Kyoto and Tokyo etc. The other lines in Osaka are all privately owned and you'll have to get tickets for them. Theres a good Super Autobacs, but dont bother with the UP-Garages in Osaka, they are pretty snoar.

Just remember that the JR Rail pass is ONLY for JR rail lines. In Osaka this will only cover the Main loop line and the bullet trains to Kyoto and Tokyo etc. The other lines in Osaka are all privately owned and you'll have to get tickets for them. Theres a good Super Autobacs, but dont bother with the UP-Garages in Osaka, they are pretty snoar.

ahh right on thanks K.O.S

is there anything i MUST to do whilst over there? mainly in tokyo, kyoto, osaka and hiroshima?

hope i've helped. have an awesome time :)

yeah thanks man i really wanted to do climb mt fuji but a guide i read says only experienced cliimbers are allowed druing the winter months. I also read about some walk with something do with samurai's back in the day im not sure of the name but it might be the one you wrote down when in kyoto. How much mone should i set aside each day? i heard the cost of living is a bit steep. but how steep? say how much is a decent meal?

yeah thanks man i really wanted to do climb mt fuji but a guide i read says only experienced cliimbers are allowed druing the winter months. I also read about some walk with something do with samurai's back in the day im not sure of the name but it might be the one you wrote down when in kyoto. How much mone should i set aside each day? i heard the cost of living is a bit steep. but how steep? say how much is a decent meal?

I am going to Japan next month too!!

Food is cheaper than Australia. Say if you go to shibuya station, Japanse noodle costs you around 800YEN(A$10),

I usually go to this place, located right next to Shibuya Station !

Main hamberg menu start from 680YEN A$8.50 (not too bad)

http://www.france-t.co.jp/france_tei/hamberg.html

Tenya is my favorite too!

760YEN(A9.50) you can get nice deep fried dish !

http://www.tenya.co.jp/index.htm

Matsuya would be cheapest japanese food!

You can have decent japanaese food under 680YEN A$8.50.

http://www.matsuyafoods.co.jp/menu/lineup/03_teishoku.html

These shops are located most stations in Japan and so

you wont miss it !

if i have A$30, that would be enough food costs per day in Japan.

Unless you go to top level japanese restaurant!

You should check these website and plan your trip before you get on your flight !

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/transportation/

If you want to go particular place in Japan, let me know i can try to source info.

I guess, people spend money in Japan cos they are so different !

I spend money every time go to Japan !

Hope this help.

i'm flying to tokyo on thursday with 6 other guys... we don't speak any jap at all and have no plans once we get there. Someone please give some advice on clubs to go to, cool places to check out and so forth...

My mates are pretty heavily tattoed up, do they need to cover up? Will we be allowed to hot springs?

Apparently many clubs and venues don't let in people with tatts?

I think we're staying in shinjuku or shibuya? any tips on those areas?

Is Tokyo really expensive? i'm budgeting $500 a day not including hotels.

My sister just came back from Osaka and said she saw a rockmelon that worked out to be $100aus like WTF

where are these meets you speak of?

Here is when & where drift/racing show happening:

http://www.soukoukai.com/

Yes all Japanese but use Google translation and at least you know where & when.

They are NOT street drift but so many cool & tough cars you can see !

Street drifters are meeting these spots in Tokyo area:

http://www.4cycles.net/page%20umihotaru.html

At least you can see photos <_>

Cheers