Sign in to follow this  
D_Stirls

Building a 1JZ dirt circuit open wheeler (Pictures Inside)

Hello all,

I'm building another open wheeler with my brother (GROWLY Custom Machining) and we are using a 1JZ.

The engine arrived today and I'm in need of the workshop manual for the engine, in electronic format as it's easier.

Here's some pic's; We were going to use a 265 HEMI which we were running in out last car but decided that it would be easier and cheaper getting the power we want out of a 1J. We just need a trans now and we will be well on our way.

With the 265 in:

16102007251small-1.jpg

16102007253small.jpg

1JZ;

Image284.jpg

Image285.jpg

Image293.jpg

Image294.jpg

Image295.jpg

Image291.jpg

Image288.jpg

And the exhaust manifold, which requires a bit of chassis modification to fit.

Image296.jpg

bush bashing in style!

should be good when it's finished.

vidsorban. :lol:

dayyymmm thats wicked lol, how much do you think it will cost all up??

keep updates coming!!

bush bashing in style!

should be good when it's finished.

vidsorban. :lol:

No we race in an professionally ran association in the west coast of SA. Although no one in the city know or us we have one of the biggest racing memberships in the state with around 650 cars.

Here's an explanation i did on another forum;

We race a form motor sport call dirt circuit racing; our association has 9 tracks in regional SA and they are all a different shape (not oval track like sprint car racing). We have three classes.

Street stock: These are close to standard cars that are allowed limited modifications. They must maintain the standard floor and engine location.

Modified Saloon:These must resemble a production car that was sold somewhere in the world (doesn't have to be Australian sold), but apart from that they are unlimited in the modification's they are allowed. the lower budget cars cut the fire wall back and set the engine back slightly. The higher budget cars run a full tube chassis and a fibre glass drop over shell.

Open Wheeler: These cars are completely unlimited, you can run any set up that you want.

In all classes there are roll cage requirements as well as other requirements and a complete ban on using methanol and nitrous oxide.

Some of the other cars in the association:

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0121_edited.jpg

DSC_0123_edited.jpg

DSC_0163_edited.jpg

modscropptlincoln029.jpg

modsPtLincoln027.jpg

And a video taken in an ultra light of a night meeting at roxby down: (No modified saloon shown though)

As for cost we will come in well under $10K (with some help from sponsors). The fees are really cheap as well; with the racing cost being $50 a year club membership and $5 per race meeting. The cost are cheap as we have been on operation for nearly 40 years and have never had a death caused by an incident (only a couple heart attacks).

The top cars are starting to become expensive with people paying up to $20k for C.O.M.E. built V8's which will piss them off no end when the 1J beats them.

Looks good so far and an interesting project!

Sure looks like a fun category of motor racing too, that commodore thing looks berserk!

haha, death on wheelsss

Well the association has been running for near on 40 years and when have never had a death caused by a racing incident, only 2 heart attacks.

yes i read that. i was only joking around with my comment :)

at first i thought, how the hell are the manifolds and turbo gonna fit, then you said you had to mod the chassis to fit the manifold, the turbos are gonna be popping out bigtime haha

i could so not trust myself in some thing like that ill roll it and breack my neck knowing my luck *knock on wood*

$5 per race meeting.

:o

Thats fkn awesome :D

Will you be rebuilding the 1J or using it as a stocker?

I asume you've got a TO4Z for it?

Edited by N1GTR

$5 per race meeting.

:o

Thats fkn awesome :D

Will you be rebuilding the 1J or using it as a stocker?

I asume you've got a TO4Z for it?

We are only looking for around the 300rwkw mark and need it to be responsive as we are racing on dirt, we won't get traction if the turbo is too laggy as it will be hard to get traction anyway. We will probably go for something that will make just over 300kw like a GT3071.

As for rebuilding the standard 1J should take 300kw for a little while and then when we blow that we will be looking at a 2J. From what i have heard there outside dimentions are the same so it should bolt straight in and the bell housings are interchangable.

We are in need of a R154 trans at the moment that is the only thing holding us up.

Hello All,

We now have a gear box. Due to the R154 price and avaliability we have decided to use a W58. The car will weigh around 800kg's and we are racing on dirt so we think that it should last longer than it would if it was in a street car.

We found a brand new box that has never been fitted, so the question about the age and condition has been answered.

We are going to use a 7mge bellhousing and make up an adaptor plate from that to the 1JZ. We will do it this way so if we go with R154 down the track we can use the adaptor plate again, and it should be easier to find a 7M bellhousing for a R154 than a 1JZ one??

My brother has a CNC machining business so these adaptor plates will be avaliable for sale afterwards.

Image394.jpg

Image393.jpg

Image390.jpg

Image391.jpg

After we have the bellhousing and have made the adaptor plate we will start making engine and gearbox mounts then we will be making the suspention.

We have changed our planes for the diff as well. We were going to use a VR commy diff but now we are going to use a R200 nissan diff as it's easier to get LSD centres for them.

What are the ratios of the standard Toyota diffs in cars fitted with R154 and W58's ?

Hello All,

We now have a gear box. Due to the R154 price and avaliability we have decided to use a W58. The car will weigh around 800kg's and we are racing on dirt so we think that it should last longer than it would if it was in a street car.

We found a brand new box that has never been fitted, so the question about the age and condition has been answered.

We are going to use a 7mge bellhousing and make up an adaptor plate from that to the 1JZ. We will do it this way so if we go with R154 down the track we can use the adaptor plate again, and it should be easier to find a 7M bellhousing for a R154 than a 1JZ one??

My brother has a CNC machining business so these adaptor plates will be avaliable for sale afterwards.

Image394.jpg

Image393.jpg

Image390.jpg

Image391.jpg

After we have the bellhousing and have made the adaptor plate we will start making engine and gearbox mounts then we will be making the suspention.

We have changed our planes for the diff as well. We were going to use a VR commy diff but now we are going to use a R200 nissan diff as it's easier to get LSD centres for them.

What are the ratios of the standard Toyota diffs in cars fitted with R154 and W58's ?

youre dreaming if you think the W58 is going to hold 300rwkw

why use a 7MGE bellhousing?

an NA 2JZGE bellhousing will bolt to a W box and then bolt straight to your engine, use a 2JZGE flywheel and get a clutch made and yer done

I would still find an R154...you will literally break the W58 just ramping the car up on boost...

also a 3071R will not make 300rwkw

a 3076R will if you pus a fair whack of boost into it

set your power goals to 280rwkw and you will attain maximum reliability with awesome response and midrange tourque

also any bellhousing you make for a W box will not bolt to an R154 you will need a completely different bellhousing

Edited by James445

i should have up dated the thread because we have done away with the 7M bellhousing and we are going to buy a *JZ to W series bell housing. The idea behind the adapter plate was if we made an adapter plate from the 7M > W series bell housing to the 1JZ then if we upgraded to a R154 down the track we could find one with a 7M bell housing and re use the adaptor plate. The reason for this is because i have seen 1JZ > R154 bell housings sell for around $1000 on supra forums and a bell housing for a 7MGTE > R154 would bolt to the adapter plate making it a cheaper option.

And as for breaking the gear box the car will only weigh 800kg's and we are racing on dirt so that is why it MIGHT last longer than it would in a Toyota supra/soarer (1500kg's+) on bitumen, the dyno is probably the biggest loading the the box will see. The box is also brand new which also means it should last slightly longer.........hopefully.

any news on this thing? :blink:

Still waiting to find a N/A 2JZ bell housing to fit the W58 to the 1JZ. Have source a R200 nissan diff for it, we were going to use a IRS VR Commy Diff but it's easier and cheaper to find parts for the R200.

yes things are moving very slowly at the moment. We need the diff, I bought one of a bloke on here but I can't get in contact with him to give him the money and pick it up now.

hey mate im used to be from peterborough and race at black rock moved to city for other reasons but it is good to see some other people

spreading the word of the sport cause it is awsome it's like drifting but dirty

good luck with the build mate should go like the clappers.

this is a pic of my mazda rx-7 s1

its a racing light weight body imported from japan

engine- 308 strokerd to 355

750 double pumper holy

turbo 700 3'500 highstall

custom locked diff (not welded lol)

full roll cage

it weight is 932 kg dry

used to run it on elf but got to expensive so de-tuned for ultimate but is still a shit load of fun

on the day this pic was taken we were having fuel issues

BR55.jpg

Hello everyone,

Finally we have all the parts to get the car on it wheels. We have starled designing the front suspension so in the next month or so whe should post regular updates.

Any one in Adelaide that in interested in racing this type of car or a street saloon pm, me or give me a call on 0447739992. Dirt circuit is comming to Adelaide / Barossa. We are currently building a track 85km from the CBD near dutton. This is the cheapest form of organised motor sport in S.A. Club membership is $20-00 a year and the entery fee per race is $10-00, spectators pay $5-00 at the gate. Cars can be built for as little as $1000. We have experienced drivers that will help people to build cars and can supply discounted parts and materials eg -: ROLL CAGES FITTED FOR $400. This sport caters for all budgets but you may be suprised how cheap it is to build a dedicated race car. Our open wheeler will cost us under $10,000 and will have a power to weight ratio exceeding a V8 supercar.

There are currently over 300 cars statewide belong to nine different Dirt circuit clubs (45 cars race from Adelaide). Some of these cars will be at an open day held in july so anyone interested can come and see what its all about. I will post a firm date for the open day in the future.

Cheers Matt

Heres a few pictures of our final body design :-

finalrc.jpg

rcingcarfinalfeb.jpg