Sign in to follow this  
Karnicle

Need Help how much would it cost? (Rust Removal)

Hi everyone, Gonna be buying my Mates 180SX (SR20DET)

current issues as stands

Metal comming out of Seat

Power steering Rack oil leak when stopped Issue

and Rrrrr Rust on the Roof

Just wondering how much it would cost me (usually) to get this kind of rust out, like full sandblast or whatever they do and repaint, any suggestions idea would be appreciative, this is the Sunroof Model of the 180sx

Here are some pictures of the rust

https://i.imgur.com/Bw7Ov2p.jpg (Links)

https://i.imgur.com/12yDFtT.jpg

12yDFtT.jpg

Bw7Ov2p.jpg

Sand it to remove the rust then touch it up with white paint

If you dont have experience with sanding or paint then dont do it or you might make it worse

hmm yeah sounds like a good idea, allot more inexpensive then what i see of these changing the pannels and stuff, might not be the right way but it sure is semi effective and cheaper.

It doesn't really look like the rust has penetrated all that deep into the panel to be honest. If it were me (and I say this having dealt with this type of thing with old cars of mine over the years) invest in a Dremel and carefully grind it out. It's a very small section, and although there's a slim chance that it hasn't penetrated all the way through the metal, it looks to me as though it basically has. Wire wheeling is great, but I honeslty think you'll be wasting your time doing anything but aggressive removal.

Remove the roof lining and sunroof mechanism, position a piece of aluminium sheet metal below the rust sections and attach a big magnet underneath the aluminium, such as an old basket from a busted car speaker, so that all the rust particles stick to the aluminium and you can easily toss them in the bin. Proceed to grind out the rust sections using die grinding wheels until there is no rust remaining, meaning you will very likely grind a small hole in the roof. Use cutting wheels to clean up the edges that have thinned out too much, as thin metal won't weld properly and you'll just blow holes in them. The next task would be to mask off the area and elist someone to weld up a small steel patch plate, then grind the welds down, bog, sand and either spray it yourself with a colour-matched rattle can for $35 from an auto paint shop (you can actually do a very nice job if you do it right), or take it to a panel beater to give it all a light sand and spray.

Now as S15 sxytime said, you do have to run your numbers before engaging in any of this, and organise someone to weld and paint it if you can't. I would just weld it myself, but I assume you can't do that. Overall I wouldn't describe that rust spot as a deal-breaker (the other issues certainly aren't), since it's tiny and the 180sx roof is a separate section to the rest of the chassis, respraying that section won't require blending, and it's a cheap solid white. The advantage of doing the rust removal yourself is that this part of the process is something a noob can easily do, takes a fair amount of time to sort out, and time taken is dollars per hour to a shop. In contrast, making and welding in a patch plate really doesn't take very long, and a professional shop should do it a lot faster than me.

To be honest don't buy the car at all and you're better off finding another car with no rust or sunroof. You don't know how far the rust has travelled under the paint and it's a pain to repair on the bends if it has gone straight through.

I'm only saying this cause I repaired my sunroof with the help of a mate and it was a pain.

Edit:

I was to slow. pmod summed it up nicely.

Edited by Opasen

It doesn't really look like the rust has penetrated all that deep into the panel to be honest. If it were me (and I say this having dealt with this type of thing with old cars of mine over the years) invest in a Dremel and carefully grind it out. It's a very small section, and although there's a slim chance that it hasn't penetrated all the way through the metal, it looks to me as though it basically has. Wire wheeling is great, but I honeslty think you'll be wasting your time doing anything but aggressive removal.

Remove the roof lining and sunroof mechanism, position a piece of aluminium sheet metal below the rust sections and attach a big magnet underneath the aluminium, such as an old basket from a busted car speaker, so that all the rust particles stick to the aluminium and you can easily toss them in the bin. Proceed to grind out the rust sections using die grinding wheels until there is no rust remaining, meaning you will very likely grind a small hole in the roof. Use cutting wheels to clean up the edges that have thinned out too much, as thin metal won't weld properly and you'll just blow holes in them. The next task would be to mask off the area and elist someone to weld up a small steel patch plate, then grind the welds down, bog, sand and either spray it yourself with a colour-matched rattle can for $35 from an auto paint shop (you can actually do a very nice job if you do it right), or take it to a panel beater to give it all a light sand and spray.

Now as S15 sxytime said, you do have to run your numbers before engaging in any of this, and organise someone to weld and paint it if you can't. I would just weld it myself, but I assume you can't do that. Overall I wouldn't describe that rust spot as a deal-breaker (the other issues certainly aren't), since it's tiny and the 180sx roof is a separate section to the rest of the chassis, respraying that section won't require blending, and it's a cheap solid white. The advantage of doing the rust removal yourself is that this part of the process is something a noob can easily do, takes a fair amount of time to sort out, and time taken is dollars per hour to a shop. In contrast, making and welding in a patch plate really doesn't take very long, and a professional shop should do it a lot faster than me.

Cheers actually helped me visualize what would have to be done, as for the people saying to avoid the car I can't it's stupid not too, the vehicle is low K's allot cheaper than any other 180 in this condition, and the money spent on buying the car will be supporting my sisters family, N3Z0wgA.jpg

Thats the rest of the car ;)