Sign in to follow this  
buoy

Back to gym programme

Hi.

Just putting together a back-to-da-gim programme for myself and would like some critique. I'm using the fact that the xmas break (about 2 weeks of no gym) and a slurry of overeating is providing the ideal situation for massive amounts of shock therapy on slightly atrophying muscles to grow like a weed for a few weeks.

Within the Scope of this article: Gym exercises, diet and resting periods.

buoy's dips and squats offensive

Duration: a few weeks (2+ hopefully? :P), until the large gains subside.

Diet: 3 normal meals + 1 junk food meal a day. The day before a workout, midnight snack of a bowl or two of nutrigrain and in the morning with some oats/grits and a few egg whites.

Supplementation: 2 Protein shakes / day, 3 on workout days. Nitron 5 - 4 tabs twice a day (therefore, no creatine).

2 days/week exercise program (+1 maintenance day)

Day 1. Squats, 10 rep warm-up with bodyweight, 10 rep warmup with 30kg - then, however many sets and rests it takes to reach 100 squats @ 70kg - no more than 2 minutes rest inbetween sets. rep count and rest time (but only up to 2 mins) is at my own discresion.

Day 2. Dips. 10 rep warm-up with bodyweight, 10 rep warmup with 20kg - then however many sets and rests it takes to reach 100 dips @ 40kg - no more than 2 minutes rest inbetween sets. rep count and rest time (but only up to 2 mins) is at my own discresion.

Maintenance day (about once a week, perhaps the day before a workout day):

- back, biceps, triceps, shoulders, traps.... light to medium sets, nothing to failure, 10 reps.

Goals: The purpose of the dips and squats offensive is to bring the entire body back to how it was before xmas - and using the xmas break "rest-period" as a spring-board for a shock-and-awe offensive on the body's endocrine system to shock it into growing moreso than it would if training just resumed, whilst still giving plenty of time during the week (albeit slightly painfully) to go do all the holiday stuff like movies, shopping, computer games, etc, etc.

the purpose of only doing 2 exercises, one for upper and one for lower, should be obvious. the maintenance day is just there to give direct stimulation to the other muscles during this period, but does not shock the body resulting in overtraining.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hopefully it'll be a winner.

f**k man this is way too technical for me now

you want to write me up a gym programme?

saves me talking to a personal trainer most of them are idiots anyway.

im only around the low 70kg mark but not fat or anything

when I went to the gym a lot i would free weight bench 27.5kg dumb bells but now that i've slacked off the last few months I think i'm going to go from the 22.5kg/25kg mark per dumb bell..

bench I can do a 60kg 3 x 8 pretty comfortably at the moment

My strength has definately gone down hill the last 6 months tho

my right shoulder is a bit dodgey - doesn't like 90 degree angles TOO much - old rugby injury

fark im feeilng pain and suffering just reading that any chance of u also writing a start up routine for a fat arse beginner who hasnt exercised in years, well one that wont kill me anyway

sean: what are your goals? bulking, fat burning... or.... basically just google some stuff on bodybuilding.com but if you're still stuck im sure there would be plenty of advice we can give but it would be worth more if you gave us more specific info

dmd: are you very fat or just plump-ish?

Personally im not a fan of the dips and squats offensive.

Squats are good at working alot of muscles, from your legs, all the way to your stomach and back. But it also works your body's largest muscles.

dips? Your triceps, a tad of the shoulders and some of your chest. -- ie, not much.

Personally, for a two week offensive, ie 4 gym sessions, Id do squats and back. Squats as you mentioned, but back as wide grip chinups - weighted after a warmup, and then something like bent over row's with massive weight. I find that gives my body more of a shock and awe offensive than dips ever would.

dmd: are you very fat or just plump-ish?

Im 92 kg height 5"9 or around 175 cm ish tall i think as i havent measured myself for ages

I guess im a liittle bigger than plumpish but not mega huge .

I want to build up as well as tone up

also iff possible i want to strengthen my back more as since i have put on weight i get a sore back more often :\

dips? Your triceps, a tad of the shoulders and some of your chest. -- ie, not much.

Dips are ... "the best overall power developers for the chest, triceps, deltoids, and biceps." (one of many sources you'll find on the net)

dips ARE the squats of the upper body.

But you're correct in that it doesn't do much for the back. Alas, my back is already pretty good compared to the rest so i'm not feeling the need to boost it at the moment - but definitely others may want to do your back workout if they want to do something similar.

in fact it may be hard because back is such a fatiging bodypart it may require a day on it's own........ perhaps.

and as for what dips do... here's a few refs from the net:

Exercises: Which ones are the best?

Moving the body through space -

When you move your torso through space your nervous system is even at a higher activating level. Push-ups are like completely forgotten. I don't think I have ever seen a routine in a magazine or book that involves them. They are a lot more effective than bench-presses especially when you have a couple of 45's on your back or a person. So are dips. You can substitute close-grip chins for curls. Seated dips for triceps extensions.

The two best exercises of all time to train the whole upper body. Chin-ups work the back and biceps while dips work the chest shoulders and triceps. Both of these exercises are so productive but unfortunately most people cant perform more then even a few reps while using their own body weight.

===========================================

"The parallel bar dip is one of the most effective upper body exercises you can do."

http://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newsletter-arc...ssue19-dips.htm

"The upper body exercises such as bench press or dips are more effective and safer than any form of isolated shoulder exercises"

http://strengthnspeed.tripod.com/Misc/FeaturedExercise.htm

"One of the oldest and most effective chest exercises is the standard dip."

http://www.bodybuildersnetwork.com/chest/

"Bench press, dips, and squats are examples of compound exercises" ... "Compound exercises are far more effective in building muscle because they incorporate the use of several muscle groups, allow for a heavier training load, and work more muscle mass in the same amount of time."

http://www.dolfzine.com/page600.htm

Edited by buoy

My goals are bulking.

I eat shitloads though and exercised heaps could never put on weight. So I stopped going to gym, been eating a lot gained a few kgs (mostly in just fat) but I don't care because as soon as I exercise again it just allllll burns away.

I don't want to be a HUGE mofo but thte 80kg mark I'd be happy. I'm like 182cms and only 72kg, not good. Don't look overly thin but by no way am I 'big'. Body size is somewhere between an Ectomorph and a Mesomorph.

I'd google shit but there's so much crap on there I dunno where to start...can I have your email haha

dmd: if you work on some compound exercises, mostly in the legs, it is the easiest way to pack on muscle. having more muscle will give you that extra fat-burning power that and will make things like running and swimming easier, so you can burn more calories with the least amount of perceived physical effort. just my 0.02

sean: yeah its going to be a tough road, so i'd say that you'd need to just refine your strategy and work smarter. evaluate your workouts and read up a lot on the net. the most important 3 things are diet, rest and training. stick to the big compound movements. don't do as much cardio. eat a lot of protein/carbs. train in the 6-12 rep range.

I'd seriously consider warming up the triceps and shoulder before doing dips. I've always stopped immediately if there are any twinges in the triceps.

^^^ my gosh you're right.

a definite bout of stretching and some light reps on free weights to prime the shoulders and triceps and forearms are definitely going to be added to the books. last thing you need is an injury.

i'd say devote at least 10 mins to warming up, even if 5 of those minutes are just sitting there wondering what to stretch inbetween each warm-up set.

sounds good mate...if i were you i'd be doing deadlifts aswell...Squats are insanely awesome, but you're upper back will be lacking. But then again if you're only doing it for a bit i'm sure there is no problem

sr180 - Dips are awesome, one of the best out there. By leaning forward you get an AWESOME chest workout, and you also get an awesome tricep workout. Almost every bodybuilder out there does weighted dips for their chest....some for their tri's

Sean, you need a proper eating/dieting routine. Heaps of calories, most of which should be protein and carbs

What do you think of the 6 meals a day thing? I spose thats for people trying to lose weight by keeping that metabolism working full time all the time.

Funny how many ppl try 'starve' themselves to lose weight putting their metabolism in survival mode which leads to them getting big again when they have their first meal which is usually huge because theyre hungry.

How do I work out my calorie intake...last time I checked I had to eat myself to point of spewing up to get that many calories in my diet. I got protein shit here and a big tub of creatine too. Worked well when I was gymming consistantly. Creatine really just turns to fat though if you stop exercising.

To gain weight quickly and safely you need to flood your body with good nutrition and try not to have too much crap.......your body might not show it but your insides would tell a different story.

Basically you need to do compound exercises to involve as many muscles as possible in the one go.

Squats, dips, bench presses, rows and a bit of cardio.

Dips are hard because for most people their strength level is not proportional to their body size...eg 100kg guy who benches 80kg as his max. So in the beginning you will probably have to do other exercises before the strength level is high enough to do dips.

A good strength guide line is to be able to squat and bench press your body weight.

But back to bulking up. Do heavy squats and bench presses with rows. 2 times a week. It has to be a weight thats heavy FOR YOU. Dont look at the guy next to you doing 200kg.....f**k that. So many people get caught up in the numbers game that they end up just screwing themselves over and then wonder whats wrong. Same with cars ;)...hahaha

Sets are around 3 x 8 with a set or two of warm ups before the main sets.

Whats even more important is to constantly feed yourselves good stuff....junk food here and there is alright but not as your main nutrition. Eggs are very good, they are high in protein and are cheap, compared to chicken, red meat etc etc etc. Along with veges and fruit that will let you feed your body without putting on too much fat. Some people prefer to get fat while they bulk up but then have to do cardio at the end to get rid of it and actually see what muscle they have put on. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and just stay lean while working out...you will see what progress you are making and not be putting on the fat.

I hope that helps.

As for supplements....i didnt use supps when i got my strength to 100 kg bench press and 20kg weighted dips and 80 kg squats.

I believe the money spent on supplements are better used on food. But if you are short on time then the protein powders are good. Just dont make it your MAIN meal....

Yeah I would only use protein supplements as a way to give my calorie intake a big boost.

Gaining weight is an expensive task though with all the food I gotta eat, (and that's alot).

I can bench my weight but not a solid 3 sets x 8 reps. 60kgs is easy 3 x 8, 65kgs I struggle on last set. (lets say im around 70-72kg)

Dips I can do quite well. You mean dips as in Triceps right? A bar on either side of you and you go up and down? I used to incorporate maybe 3 x 12 dips into my routine.

Squat is a little bit harder because of my shoulders not being able to hand above 90degree angles as well as it used to. I might start off really light and get it used to the angle first before putting more weight onto it.

my gym program is mainly for endurance and upper body strength and follows this routine 5 days a week with just running and swimming on weekends

2.6km run in 11 minutes or under

followed by a 4km bike ride

followed by 4km jog

5 minute rest

100 situps

30 pushups

100 situps again

30 push ups again

5 minute rest

3 sets of 25 on 70kg leg press with 1 minute rest between sets

4 sets of 15 on 65kg kg bench press with 1 minute rest

lower arm pull ups and upper arm pull ups on 30kg for 2 minutes

a number of other small weight endurance mechanisms

and a 400metre swim to relax the muscles and cool off

What do you think of the 6 meals a day thing?  I spose thats for people trying to lose weight by keeping that metabolism working full time all the time.

How do I work out my calorie intake...last time I checked I had to eat myself to point of spewing up to get that many calories in my diet. 

Lol..you answered your own question. The way to get that many calories into one day is to spread it out over like 6 meals or whatever. If you're trying to cram 3000cal into 3 meals..lol GL. The thing is what you're body doesnt use will turn into poo or fat. That's why 6 smaller meals will enable your metabolism to work all the time and your body to use all the nutrients you intake.

I tend to disagree a bit with davidj76. For bulking/size/mass i would be doing more along the lines of 5reps/5sets. Do deadlifts, i repeat...do deadlifts. One of the best exercise there along with squats. Also dips work tri's and chest...lean forward on the dip to work the chest

See what you want is compount movements. Main ones are benchpress(change between incline and flat, db's and bb's), squats and deadlifts. Most of the others are just accessories.

Also you NEED supplements if you want to do it right. All the vitamins you arent taking sufficiently because of your bulking diet, you will need, usually in form of supplements.

-good multivitamins

-fish oil/flaxseed oil

Also if your bulking, get creatine. Get a good ethyl ester creatine(better than most monohydrates as it is absorbed easier), you will notice big differences. And obviously protein should be taken all the time. Nitric oxide tablets are also another one which i noticed a fair difference when taking, but sorta goes away when you stop taking it

And unlike Kamakaze, dont do cardio. 5-10 min warmup will be fine. IF you really have to do cardio, seperate it at least 8 hours from you're gym workout

Ok, a good bit of research there by buoy and others to prove my statements wrong.

I just find that done properly, a back workout shocks my body more than dips.

Theres alot of meatheads hiding in here now... With good info as well..

I just find that done properly, a back workout shocks my body more than dips.

Theres alot of meatheads hiding in here now... With good info as well..

Yeah people are different. Some people are naturally stroner in certain parts of their bodys than others, so obviously react differently to various exercises. Also the amount of training you do over a long or short period of time would also affect what shocks your body

why shouldnt i do cardio/endurance.

Im following a pre written regime

That's fine if that's what you want to do...i wasn't bagging your program :)

IF you're bulking or wish to bulk, cardio is usually just a 5-10min warmup.

To bulk correctly u need a certain amount of calories per day. Cardio will burn the calories off before it starts to burn off fat. So as you can see, if calories=mass gain, and cardio work burns calories....dont do MUCH cardio. A bit is fine, but make room for it in your caloric intake

yeh sweet i understand, i do a large amount of cardio as that is what i require, along with endurance and strength directly relational to strength. I don't really want to bulk as i have enough weight on my back without carrying another 30kg of myself around the place.

So who knows what there talking about and wants to help me out with a bulking diet??

Been doing weights for a fair while now and have had huge gains in both my appearance and also in weights in the gym (started benching 40kg, 4 sets of 10 and now benching 80kg 4 sets of ten) but couldv had even better gains if i followed a better diet!!

Anyone interested in helpn me out with a 7day diet?? or can anyone post up some bulking and muscle development diets???

Some good info on here. Im not an instructor nor do I profess to have intimate knowledge of weight training so take what I say at yur own risk!

I started going to the gym 8 months ago and have gone from benching 40kgs to 95kgs. I weigh 75kgs so for me it is a huge weight to lift. Mind you it is a spotted 8 reps - but Im happy anyway.

Im in the same boat your in, in that I have had 2 weeks without the gym. A routine that was given to me by an instructor that absolutely shocked my body was this; I will be doing is for 2-4 weeks when I go back to the gym and then be reverting back to a 'normal' routine.

* Squats 6 sets by 15 reps (60kgs)

* Bench 6 sets by 15 reps (50kgs)

* Lat Pulldown 6 sets by 15 reps (45kgs)

* Upright rows 6 sets by 15 reps (30kgs)

The weights are what I used to do 4 months ago so they may change as i have not done this in a while.

Pick the weight that is comfortable to do this amount of reps, I get a spot by the 4th or 5th set. Only a minute or so between sets and 3-5 minutes between excercises (watch the clock in the gym and you will notice that time flies). I will do this on Mon-Wed-Fri so only 3 days a week to allow the body to recover. After a workout your whole body feels absolutely pumped!

I started on my weight bench last night, I was sweating and tired as all f**k.... and that was just assembling it!!!